Dec 6, 2006

Re: Did Ford Race Create A Bridge In Tennessee

Your point is well taken...

I worked for the College Republicans and a lot of my time was focused on their efforts on the Bob Corker race. You would never believe how many dirty looks I got when black people found out what I was doing. How dare I work against a black man, even if I think he's a flake and the ultimate son of privilege?

The 95% number touches on three things- 1. How blacks think they must vote for the person who is black--as long as they are a Democrat; 2. How blacks will not tolerate any dissent, especially when it comes to blacks voting against other blacks--as long as they are Democrats; 3. Finally, how blacks blindly vote.

Harold Ford campaigned as a strong conservative Democrat. Steve Cohen, who ran to replace Ford at the congressional level campaigned as a liberal Democrat. Both overwhelmingly got most of the black vote. What does this say about black people? I believe it says most blacks (or at least the ones who voted for both Cohen AND Ford) have no values, they only have party, all they know is the D is good and they are sticking with it.

This is why I personally have no problem with black people voting lock-step with Democrats. Most of my black republican friends get caught up in this whole outreach mirage, they think that most black people would vote Republican if they knew what the party actually stands for. I'm getting to the point of thinking that if you are an adult, and don't know what a major political party stands for then you are the last person I want in my party. As a matter of fact if Bob Corker was getting 95% of the black vote I would seriously have to reconsider my support since it would say a lot about him.

I do believe younger black people are less beholden to a party, but they aren't the major voting bloc. Until they are, I doubt we'll see any change in voting habits.

--Scooter Jackson

5 comments:

I.C. Jackson said...

Actually, I disgaree that young Black people are less beholden to a party...

While it is true that most young Black people are not 'political' or rather, politically educated and competent, we learn to sterotype political parties and leaders at a very young age. Our parents, teachers, and leaders subliminally indoctrinate us with a mentality that assumes special rights, treatment, and or consideration for Black Americans because of slavery and Jim Crow. And through this platform, we are taught that Democrats are the only ones who really address "Black Issues".

I was a small/young child during the Reagan administration, and I distinctively remember my parents complaining about the racist Republicans and labeling Reagan as someone who "just [didn't] care about Black people at all", as if that was a character defect of some kind. While my mother will occasionally sing the praises of a local Republican politician (she eagerly tells of how when John Engler was the governor of Michigan, Black folks had to get off their tails and do something - you couldn't stay on welfare, and you couldn't be lazy...but she always prefaces her statements with, "although he wasn't my man..."), she has yet to subscribe to conservative ideology altogether. She believes in the principles, but she is still emotionally driven, and thinks that America is supposed to pay special attention to the plight of Blacks. And she taught us how to feel that way, too...

When I attended Tennesse State University, we all wanted to change the world, and with The Souls of Black Folk as our guide, we all thought Black nationalism was the way to do it. We all wanted to pull up together as a community, you know, blah blah blah, but the important thing to note is that this was a sentiment not only held by assuming students, but it was the doctrine of Pro-Black faculty as well, especially those in the African American Studies department.

Just watching A Different World and listening to pro-Black rap (you might not remember the very late 80's/early 90's like that) growing up was enough to make you a Black Nationalist before you got out of middle school.

We even exalt a unilateral palette of Democrat civil rights leaders during Black History Month. While Martin Luther King, Jr.'s political affiliation remains unspoken, Jesse Jackson and the rest are idolized and presented as our only examples of 'freedom' fighters.

'You mean to tell me you don't like Jesse? E'RYBODY loves Jesse!!!'


I'm sure you see my point.

That's why blogs like this one are so important. We have to reach young, thinking Black America before they get too set in their ways. They are being indoctrinated as we speak...


I.C. Jackson

Anonymous said...

There seems to be a growing "What have you done for me lately" sentiment from younger people regarding the dems. They might be moving away from the Dems but that doesn't mean they are moving toward the GOP. A step in the right direction though.

Anonymous said...

I think the fact that young black voters do think is the reason they tend not to vote Republican. And, I think once Blacks learn what the Republican party stands for, they immediately VOTE ANOTHER WAY!!! Actually, once most AMERICANS learn what the Republicans stand for they vote ANOTHER WAY! This last midterm election was evident of that very fact. The Repubs were EXPOSED for being the HYPOCRITES that they mostly are! We haven't begun to see their (REPUBS) REAL AGENDA! I think this idea of Black Repubs at HBCUs is a trend that will fade like most trends! I bet you most blacks who vote repub. feel that they have arrived and voting Dem. is for poor, struggling Blacks, not Upwardly mobile Blacks! I'm an HBCU product, and I'm also young and Democrat! I just don't see much aboutt he Repub. party that attracts me! Thay are an ELITIST party ,and they CERTAINLY DON"T HAVE ANY VALUES that DEMS DON"T HAVE! They HAVE A LOT OF BLOOD ON THEIR HANDS! THEY ARE COLD_BLOODED AND RUTHLESS! they talk a good game, but as I said earlier, they have been exposed. And, by the way, Scooter, if being a Dem. is SOOO BAD, why did the premier REpub. in the 2006 midterm elections , i.e. MICHAEL STEELE, run as a 'STEELE DEMOCRAT? He even posted that term on 'BLUE' poster boards! You know, even Mr. Steele knows what time it is!

Unknown said...

Guys, LOVE the site, but you've got to ban the anonymous comments. Invariably, they're from left-wing nutcases.

Anonymous said...

It would be easier to respond to and "engage" people like anonymous if they would identify themselves.